Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gift Baskets

If you're making cookies to give as Christmas presents, how many different cookies do you make? This is the question that, for the past week, has plagued my existence. The answer, by poll, is three to five. However, does that include variations on the theme? Take, for example, biscotti. I want to try making almond and chocolate hazelnut (yum-o!). Is that one, with a variation? Or is that two? I'm so perplexed with this my head is spinning at a rate that would make Reagan proud. Yes, I referenced The Exorcist. Next comes the what to make? As a rule I don't really like Christmas cookies. Those bland sugar coated masterpieces that others rave about just aren't my style. Besides, I don't have anywhere near the patience needed to sit down and create a work of art. And, as anyone that knows me knows, if it doesn't turn out perfect, it's going in the trash. My garbage can would have a full stomach! I do, however, want to make those adorable little lollipop cookies that I see being baked on television. But me, being me, though - I'm not satisfied with just the peppermint extract being added to the dough. Oh no! We can do better! But how? Etc, etc, etc ... Then. How to package?! Because, face it, presentation is everything! Without it, it's just cookies.

Now do you understand why my head spins?

In the end, I settled on a nice gift basket, filled with all the homemade goodies needed for a nice Italian dinner (including the aforementioned biscotti for dessert)!

No comments: