Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts



Recently, I picked up my mother for the evening (she doesn't drive). It was just a night to "hang out" together. For dinner I reached for my go-to item, chicken! I wasn't sure what to do with it though. I had just a bit of apricot preserves left in the jar, so .....

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 to 1-1/4 pounds
2 tbs apricot preserves
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground poultry seasoning
pinch, or two, of salt (taste your glaze after combining to determine the amount of salt)



Heat your grill, or grill pan, over medium heat. I used a non-stick grill pan, sprayed with cooking spray for a little added reassurance. As you can tell by my picture, I'm still mastering the art of cooking with it. Eh, no one's perfect!


In a gallon sized storage bag combine all your ingredients, except the chicken. Push the air out and seal. Squish the bag around until everything is nicely combined. Add your chicken breasts, and, again, squish around until the chicken is completely coated with the glaze.


Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Turn your chicken breasts over and continue to cook until you chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, approximately another 5-8 minutes.

Move your chicken to a plate, cover with foil and let it stand for at least 5 minutes.

Tip: To test your chicken for doneness, I use this trick as a general guide. Make a tight fist. Touch the fleshy area between your thumb and forefinger. Now touch the chicken (clean hands please). Do they feel the same? If they do, chances are your chicken is done! To be completely sure, your chicken should be 170 degrees fahrenheit.

No comments: